Wednesday 17 July 2013

Trying to find words to describe why I need this blog is proving much more of a challenge than I expected. I guess I just want to share my life and its complications with someone, somewhere in the hope that I can find some like minded people for help and support.

In the UK there is virtually no support for adults diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. I find this throroughly depressing in itself; add to this the depressing fact that we want to engage socially (having a huge craving for friends) but continually blow it and find it a huge strain and is it any wonder that conditions like anxiety/stress and depression are very common mental health issues for people with (or without) a diagnosis?

I find that I just keep soldiering on as I have done for the last 40 years trying to function as best as I can in a world that mainly exhausts me! I read accounts from people with AS that I identifye with but what I want more than anything is to actually MEET with people who share the same experience of the world. As far as I know, in my area of the country, there are no such groups for adults with AS. There are groups for parents of children who are autistic or with AS, carers groups, childrens groups etc. However, there is no funding for adults with AS. God knows how the country is going to cope in the future as we get better at diagnosing this condition!!! These children who are being diagnosed will grow up one day and believe me - the problems will not suddenly go away. We function the way we function and that will not change. Our very beings need help and support and reassurance and these needs are lifelong, they don't disappear at 18 years of age.

So maybe I'm on the campaign trail and starting my blog is my first step towards something else, something yet unnamed, something unknown to me, but, something that will help me firstly and who knows, perhaps others in the future too.

No comments:

Post a Comment